Monday 16 July 2012

Keeping Summer Entertaining Simple

This past weekend my husband and I hosted a barbeque for his side of the family to celebrate a couple of birthdays as well as to say farewell to a family member who is relocating to Ottawa.
With approximately a dozen people expected, my goal as always was to try to keep it simple!

At some point during the weekend, my husband brought out this old family photo of his grandparents hosting a summer meal in front of their farmhouse. 


A simple outdoor summer meal circa 1930's


Studying it I was taken with how simple, elegant and relaxed the scene looks.   A bunch of black-eyed-susans gathered up in a glass vase, the wooden chairs, the pastoral backdrop of country fences and fields.  How beautiful and serene his grandmother looks (far right).

I tucked the photo under a fridge magnet to remind myself of what really matters when bringing together family and friends for an easy summer meal.  I let myself take several short-cuts and crossed a few things off the to-do list: weeding and edging all the gardens, washing the kitchen and bathroom floors (really....people will be traipsing in and out with shoes on anyhow).  I kept the menu simple, (marinated chicken breasts, a green salad, a pasta salad and a rice dish with birthday cake and ice cream for dessert) used disposable plates and serviettes and except for barbequing the meat, everything was prepared ahead of time. 

It turned out to be a relaxing evening.  I had lots of time to sit and chat with the adults and to run about the garden with our grand-daughter picking leaves and floating them in the birth bath, playing with the garden hose and generally being silly.

Given that it was a Sunday, our guests left around eight-thirty and by nightfall my husband and I had dismantled the tables, relocated the chairs and with some help from our daughter (thank you!!) all the dishes were done.  Remembering that what lasts are the connections, the feeling welcomed and sharing time together, it is easier to let go of our need to overwork the details and ourselves


Thank you for stopping by My Turquoise Kettle Life today.

Wishing you a simple summer day,

Sandra












No comments:

Post a Comment