Sunday 6 November 2011

The Slow Kitchen - Giving up the Microwave Oven

Our microwave is on the fritz - again. This microwave is only about two months old. The one it replaced was less than a year old when it gave up the ghost. Hmmm.

We've been exclusively slow-cooking so to speak for about a week. No big deal really, I don't miss the microwave. So this morning over breakfast when I pondered out loud, "Do you think we need a microwave oven?" My husband said, "No, probably not." We tossed around the idea of not replacing it and how we might be inconvenienced. Like most people, we have grown accustomed to zapping frozen bread when we forget to defrost it for lunches, reheating left-overs and cooking baked potatoes.

I was in my late twenties before I owned a microwave oven, so I know we can manage without it, doing so might be an interesting experiment. Mind you this is coming from the woman whose conventional oven was broken from May until September of this year and then I only reluctantly had it repaired because I was cooking Thanksgiving dinner for twenty-five people. While it was broken I managed quite well thank you with the stove top, the barbeque and microwave oven. Okay, so I'm no Martha Stewart.

We were also the family that ripped out a perfectly good dishwasher and stuck it at the curb with a "Free - It Works" sign on it. It wasn't long before a man stopped and asked what was wrong with it. "Nothing, we just don't want a dishwasher anymore." (Actually we never wanted one, it was a very generous wedding gift) The poor guy, he begged us to tell him what was wrong with the dishwasher. "Really, it isn't very old and it works perfectly, we like hand washing our dishes." He looked at us side-ways, certain we were either lying to him or crazy. He took the dishwasher but still seemed unsure as he wheeled it away.


I digress. As far as the microwave oven is concerned, I think we'll try to do without. In a couple of weeks I'll update you on our little slow-kitchen experiment.

Thanks for visiting My Turquoise Kettle Life today.

Wishing you a slow and easy day,

Sandra

2 comments:

  1. We recently had issues with both our microwave and our oven so we did a lot of grilling and stovetop cooking as well! (Yeah Summer!)

    The microwave will only stay on for 1 min 30 seconds. When we finally had the stove fixed I asked the repairman about the microwave. He said it wasn't worth it to fix. Since we've found thatwe deal pretty well with a microwave that only works for 1 min 30 seconds we're going to just keep it that way until it dies and then probably replace it with a range hood as it's over our stove!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence! So far the thing I miss the most about the microwave is the digital clock. I will need to get creative about the gaping hole in the cabinetry. Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete