Monday 13 June 2011

Thank You For the Canvas!

Last week I wrote about the fun I had in the studio painting on a big canvas (36" x 48").  It was a wonderful reminder that good things happen when I follow my intuition, act on my ideas and avoid over-thinking or over-analysing my creativity. 

One afternoon shortly after that, my doorbell rang and there stood my long time friend, Jennifer, with an enormous blank canvas.  Jennifer had read my post and decided to donate this amazing canvas, (48" x 48") which she had had in storage for a while.  I was dumbfounded and delighted all at the same time.  "Take it and enjoy it!" was her advise to me.

Well Jennifer, enjoy it I certainly have!  I put the canvas up on the easels (I needed two together!) last week.  For several days I wandered in and out of the studio looking at the blank canvas and wondering what it might want to be.  Finally yesterday I began working on a landscape.  I laid down a yellow sky and an orange landscape as my base colours and working with a pallete knife, I spread colours over colours until I had a painting that I am quite pleased with. 


The fun of using a pallete knife is that it encourages me to be a little wild with the paint and prevents too much concern about the details.  I went through a period when I only used the pallete knife and had so enjoyed the process that I thought I must be "cheating" somehow and forced myself back to the brushes.  What a killjoy!  Hopefully I am finally learning to let myself have a little fun!

Again, thank you Jennifer and thank you for visiting My Turquoise Kettle Life.

Wishing you a fun day,
Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment