Thursday 23 June 2011

Eat, Play, Love Animal Rescue

Kudos to the Eat, Play, Love Animal Rescue! http://eatplayloveanimalrescue.blogspot.com/  and it's co-founders, Samantha Emberly (my daughter) and Emily Morgan (my niece).  These two young women are already veteran animal rescuers working towards saving, sterilizing and finding permanent homes for the neglected and abandoned dogs in our area.

With Quebec's big "moving day" just around the corner, many dogs and cats will be abandoned as their owners move to new apartments and houses.  The fortunate ones will be dropped off at no-kill animal shelters; others will be left at shelters where they will be housed for a few days, hoping to be adopted, before they are euthanized.  The least fortunate will be those pets left behind in vacant apartments without food or water. 

While we often wonder ,"Who would do that to their pet?" Perhaps a better question is, "Who will work to remedy this sad situation?"  

In order for foster-based rescues to function and provide services, they need individuals and families who are willing to temporarily care for a dog or cat until the pets can be placed in a permanent home.  The foster family needs to provide a safe environment for the animal and food.  All other costs including, medicine, veterinary visits and sterilization are the responsibility of the rescue organization.  If, for some reason, the animal does not adjust well to the foster family's situation, the animal is removed and a new foster home is found.

Adopting an abandoned animal may be one of the most rewarding decisions you will ever make.  Far from being "damaged goods" these pets seem to be extra appreciative of finally having a family that is willing to make a "forever" committment to them.  In the summer of the year 2000, our family adopted  Abby.  She was an amazingly gentle dog who had been abandoned on a country road.  She enriched my life and our family life daily until she died in February of this year. 
Abby

Abby had been so perfect that I decided I wouldn't adopt another dog. My heart was broken.  Emily and Samantha understood the situation better than I could and began to look for another dog for me to love.  A frightening drive in a blinding snowstorm at the end of February out to the Monteregie SPCA, resulted in our adopting Zack a seven year old adorable mutt. 
Zack


A month or two later, I accompanied Samantha to the local dog pound to take photos of the adoptable dogs to post on-line.  When we arrived, a gentleman was dropping off a beautiful cocker-poo (a cocker spaniel/poodle mix). As we bent to pet and admire her we were told, "Take her if you want her, she won't have a chance at adoption, we'll just euthanize her.  She's already fourteen years old."  Samantha didn't miss a beat, "I'll take her!! I'll find her a home."  This dog's family had recently moved to an apartment and found they were not able to keep her.  As I waited in the parking lot with this lovely "old girl" her master passed by and got into his van.  She began to wimper and pace.  I tried to soothe her, "It's okay, you'll be fine",  I whispered to her. As the van pulled out of the lot and drove away she began to bark and watched the vehicle intently until it passed out of sight.  By now this "old girl" and I were both crying!

Grace
This big adorable dog sat on my lap for the 25 minute ride from the pound to my house, by the time I arrived home I was already smitten.  I wasn't sure how I felt about having two dogs, let alone what my husband would think of the idea.  Thankfully my (awesome) husband took one look at the dog and said, "She's a beauty, are we keeping her?"  We decided to give her a brand new name to go with her new life.  My husband suggested "Grace", it suits her perfectly and it was by God's grace that we arrived at the pound when we did that day.

Thank you Samantha and Emily for doing what you do and to the foster families and adoptive families of these animals.  Thanks also to all the family and friends of Eat, Play, Love Animal Rescue who have donated pet food, supplies and funds to help the rescue to continue to save neglected and abandoned animals.



Plus a huge thank you to our vet Dr. Janique Arseneau whose expert and tender care of all our animals is appreciated beyond measure.

If you think you or someone you know might be able to temporarily foster an animal in need or adopt a loving companion for life please visit the Eat, Play, Love Animal Rescue website  http://eatplayloveanimalrescue.yolasite.com/ , or blog http://eatplayloveanimalrescue.blogspot.com/ 
 or e-mail them at  eat.play.love.animal.rescue@gmail.com .


Thank you for taking the time to visit, My Turquoise Kettle Life.

Have a pet-icularly wonderful day.

Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment