Tuesday 8 May 2012

Painting...Silencing the Inner Critic

I don't mind a little constructive criticism, a friendly suggestion here and there, or a helpful hint along the way.  But if you are like me a harsh word from a hovering critic can be frustrating and intimidating.  Not surprisingly some of the most discouraging criticism I've received has been from my own inner critic. 

Negative inner dialogue can be especially destructive to the creative process.  Today, as I set about to work in the painting studio I wanted to try a slightly different painting style.  I knew that before long I'd hear the familiar voice of my inner critic negatively commenting on my work. 

To counter her acidic observations and questions I simply proclaimed today's studio time as a play day  and not a work day.  "I'm just having some fun.", "Yes it's silly but today its about the process and not the product."  "I am creating these painting for my own pleasure, no one else has to approve of them."

Finally she gave up and let me have my fun.  Here are the results of today's play day:

"Dream" 16"x20" Mixed Media


Detail of "Dream"

"Happy" 16" x 20" Mixed Media

Detail of "Happy"

What would you dare to try if you could silence your inner critic for a while?  Try giving yourself permission to just goof around a little, have some fun, even look silly.  That might send your critic packing, at least for a little while.

Thanks for visiting My Turquoise Kettle Life today.

Wishing you time to have a little fun today,

Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment