Thursday 10 May 2012

How to make a toddler's sundress from scraps of fabric

This week my creativity is pouring out all over the place, writing, decorating, photography, mosaic work, painting and sewing.  Today I want to share with you a simple way to use up remnants of cotton fabric to make cute little sundresses.

This is a simple sundress pattern that fits my 20 month old granddaughter who weighs about 30 pounds. 

sundress made using 3 types of fabric


I used two different fabrics for the bodice and pieced together panels of alternating patterns and widths for the skirt.  I used ribbon for the shoulder ties so that the dress can "grow" along with her. I think the result is cute and of course its one-of-a-kind!
right side of bodice - two coordinating fabrics

sundress skirt - 3 fabrics of varying width panels pieced together

bodice attached to gathered skirt


Here is the same dress pattern made out of a single type of fabric.  This time I made matching shoulder ties and put a little lace trim around the hemline.
sundress with matching shoulder ties

lace hem detail
sundress with matching shoulder ties

The pink dress sewed up in about 75 minutes. 

Here is the pattern I drew to make the bodice (cut 4 as the bodice is lined). 
There isn't a pattern for the skirt, its just 15" long and 2 1/2 times the width of the bottom of the bodice or approximately 60" wide. The ribbons or ties are about 10" long.
If you are new to sewing this may not be enough instruction... feel free to e-mail me at sandra.myturquoisekettlelife@gmail.com and I will do my best to answer your questions.




Thanks for visiting My Turquoise Kettle Life today.

Wishing you a day that is sew wonderful,

Sandra










No comments:

Post a Comment