Monday 9 April 2012

How to Keep a Promise

At the end of 2011 as I was preparing to lay out my goals and plans for 2012, I came across Robin Sharma's list of 35 fast tips for your best year yet. I printed the list and keep it at my meditation corner.


The second item on the list is, "Keep the promises you make to others - and to yourself." I love that! How would my days and weeks be impacted if I kept all the promises that I made, all those intentions to live more purposefully, creatively and simply?


I really wanted to embrace that practice and knew that I would have to find a way, a technique to make it "stick". While I still fall short of the goal, I have found that using my weekly to-do list is a great way to help me to keep my promises. On Sunday evening or Monday morning I write a list of all the things that I want to accomplish. The list includes mundane things such as ironing, as well as things that I do daily, such as prayer, journaling and going to the gym. For example, beside "gym" I make five little boxes and check them off once I have worked out Monday to Friday. I include tasks that I have promised to others, phone calls I need to make, appointments to be booked and creative time that needs to be spent in the studio.






The list also includes "acts of kindness" that I want to accomplish but that sometimes get lost in the shuffle of daily life. I write the names of people that I want to connect with. Too often someone comes to mind and I think, "I really would like to let them know that I'm thinking of them.”,  including that on the list keeps me intentional about those important ideas that are not urgent, and that sometimes get overlooked.


Another result of this habit is that I have become more selective about the promises that I make. I don't like the feeling of disappointing people or myself, I so I try to consider my promise and imagine actually doing it and decide.... Is that what you really want? Is that something you will actually do? It isn't easy to say "no" but it feels more honest and authentic than saying "maybe" and not meaning it, or "yes" and not doing it.


Keeping promises matters. In a world where we have become jaded by poor quality, poor service and broken commitments, keeping our promises can help us to stand out and stand tall.

Thank you for stopping by My Turquoise Kettle Life.

Wishing you a day full of promise,

Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment