Saturday 31 December 2011

Visualization and Dreaming "What Could Be"

In my last post I wrote that I was in the "dreaming what could be" phase of planning for the coming year.  It may sound funny to say that I take this "dreaming" very seriously. 


close up of swirly blue glass


Dreaming and day-dreaming have a  carefree lazy-day image and it is exactly this state of mind that is so condusive to conjuring up an image of the way I want to be and the life I long to create. I try to reduce the inner chatter of my logical, responsible self by telling her, "Relax, I'm just day-dreaming.  I just want to play with this image in my head for a little while, to play make-believe, to wonder what if?". 

My grown-up responsible side is resistant.  She has seen how powerful this exercise is; how ideas, images and desires that I have visualized, cherished and focused on have been reproduced in my life.  Of course my logical self supports my healthy eating and gym routine but she gets nervous when the images become bohemian beach cottages and summers spent in artist retreats playing with paint and words with no schedules or responsibilities to keep me hemmed in.  I hear her stern voice saying, "Sandra, get back to your senses this instant!"


day dreaming helps to unlock your secret longings
We probably all have a life time of "voices" telling us to:
  • grow-up
  • get your head out of the clouds
  • do the responsible thing or the safe thing
These voices may say that:
  • life isn't fair
  • we don't get to do what we want
  • we owe it to them to stay stuck (okay the never say "stuck" but that's what they mean)
  • they are depending on us to help them cope
  • counting on us to keep them happy
  • a good friend (wife, mother) would never ________________ (fill in the blank with your dream)
  • that is a waste of money, time.
Whisper to that stern voice, "Go away, I'm just playing. I will come back when I am ready to."

Record your mental wanderings.  Draw a little sketch to remind you of what you saw.  Jot down key words, phrases, titles of movies or books, or the names of people that embody the qualities, lifestyle or activities  and ideas that have come to you. 

Next week I will be putting together a new vision board to help support my mental musings.  Check in with me then to see what my dreams are up to for the new year.

Thank you so very much for stopping by and visiting My Turquoise Kettle Life.

Wishing you a new year full of dreams, joy, health and love,

Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment