Thursday 8 December 2011

How to Enjoy Christmas (for a change)

For years my husband and I have been trying to be authentic about Christmas and not get caught up with other people's ideas of what Christmas has to be. This year I think we have managed to do it! Here is what we did step by step:

1. Entertaining and Socializing

Decided which parties, dinners, outings we enjoy participating in.

Decided on any entertaining we wanted to host.

Decided which get togethers we are obliged to attend (thank goodness there's only one in that category!)

Decided which invitations we can politely decline.

Keep in mind that when you wish to decline you don't have to give a reason, but you can have excuses ready if you feel you need to.

2. Gifts

We made a list of who we will give a gift to.

Decided that everyone will be getting a hand-made gift and what it would be.

We didn't want the simplest easiest Christmas; we want a meaningful, authentic one. (We give a few financial gifts and those are the easiest -we write a cheque).

Decided to no longer fill a stocking for our (now adult) children. This one step alone feels liberating.

The last few weeks we've been working on our gifts, sometimes abandoning original plans and doing something else.

3. Christmas Cards

I bought blank craft store cards 5 x 7 inches and put one of my photos on the cover and wrote the inside messages. It’s simple to do and personal.

4. Baking/Food

I decided on 3 recipes for sweets that I will make. Two are already made and frozen and I'll do the last one next week.

5. Christmas Dinner

Our family does a large Christmas dinner (20 - 25 people) but each family brings part of the meal from buns to veggies and everyone contributes dessert .  We are very big on dessert, you can forget to bring your vegetable casserole, you can even forget to bring wine but you had better bring dessert!

6. The Christmas Tree

We don't have a Christmas tree. Well actually we had a little 3 ft tall house plant that really looked like a Christmas tree and I used to decorate it but I over-watered it in October and probably November too and I finally threw it away today, it was beyond hope - even Charlie Brown would have agreed.

About not having a Christmas tree - I really don't feel sentimental about the tree. I don't want an artificial one and I don't want to be sweeping up needles until next March. I now I'm in the minority but there you have it.

7. Why Christmas??

We remember that Christmas is about Jesus' arrival into our world, the miracle of his birth and the gift he offers each of us.

8. Generosity

My husband and I don't exchange gifts but find a person or family, either in our community or an organization that is in need and make a donation.

I think that's it. As I said, it has taken years to eliminate the expensive, draining, boring parts of the season and to be able to embrace what we enjoy, plus it changes from year to year. Some years I'm inspired to light up the front of our home in white lights. So far this year I have one tiny little evergreen in lights.

Your authentic Christmas will look completely different than mine. What matters is that if you are fortunate enough to have people around that you love and who love you, spend some time with them and let them know how you feel. Look out for those who have no one and if they don't have a place to be on Christmas, squeeze an extra chair around the dinner table.

Thanks for stopping by My Turquoise Kettle Life today.

Wishing you an authentic day,

Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment