Friday 9 September 2011

How to customize a cardigan sweater


Someone recently passed along a pretty blue cardigan sweater to me.  I loved the colour but the sweater was a little loose.  Today I tried it on again and decided it needed to be taken in a good two to three inches along the sides.    

Once I had it fitting properly I still wanted to “fix” it somehow.  I decided to give it elbow patches in a feminine floral pattern.  I used an oval dish as a template, turned under the edges of the patches, pressed them and using a zigzag stitch, sewed them onto the sleeves.  

Thinking that the front also needed to be dressed up, I used the same fabric to cut a small pocket, trimmed it with lace, a vintage button and voila!  A one-of-a-kind cute little cardi!
Front

back with elbow patches
pretty, feminine and unique


Passing along clothing to a friend or relative is a great way to "recycle" and economize.  Use your imagination (and your sewing machine) to make the "new-to-you" clothing uniquely "you".


Thank you for stopping by My Turquoise Kettle Life.


Wishing you a creative day,

Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment