Monday 1 May 2017

In Her Own Words

In my last post I mentioned some of the accomplishments that my eldest daughter Shannon had recently achieved.

As a youngster Shannon was headstrong and stubborn, determined to do things her own way.  In her early twenties she would work two and sometimes three jobs to support herself.  She partied, had begun smoking and worked hard and like many people, didn't  really care that she was burning the candle at both ends. Her eating habits were a dietitian's nightmare. Over the years she had gained a lot of weight and while her job required lots of walking, she had a very poor level of fitness.

This evening she is the guest speaker at The Runner's Room in Mississauga for the Learn to Run Clinic to inspire and motivate new members.

Here is her story in her own words:

I work a pretty high-stress job for a freight railway.  I am one of only two female Track Supervisors in Canada.  I manage a large group of employees to construct new railway infrastructure as well as clean up after derailments.  I'm on call for emergencies 24/7 and can be dispatched to parts unknown for as long as it takes to get the railway tracks operational again.

In 2011 I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and by 2015 I was told to forget about losing any of the extra 80 pound I was carrying around, the doctor said you will always be this weight.  In 2013 I was diagnosed with celiac disease another chronic condition that left me feeling defeated. 

Up until the last 12 months my diet consisted of cheese, breads, pasta and potatoes (preferably chips or fries), multiple coffees and a half pack of cigarettes a day.
Had you asked me about motivation, at that point in my life I would have replied that I was motivated to deliver 110% at work and then fall onto the sofa at the end of a long day with a bowl of chips.

In 2015 on a vacation in Africa I met a fellow traveler from London, England named Bhavini.  She suggested that we should do another tour together, perhaps to Peru to hike the Lares Trek.  I have no idea how she ever thought that at 80 pounds overweight, and a smoker, that I would be able to hike in the thin air (4,500 in altitude) of Peru. 


 I guess I like a challenge, so in preparation for the trip I quit smoking.  My boyfriend and I would go for walks and I remember the first time I said I was going to run to the corner.  I barely made it the 200 feet, I was out of breath.  My aunt had joined the Learn to Run clinic with the Running Room in Montreal and encouraged me to do likewise.  In May 2016 I joined the Learn to Run Clinic.


Learn to Run Clinic - Shannon's on the left in black

I honestly was so thankful when some of the other women in my clinic seemed to struggle as I did, it was a place that was safe and accepting of my level of fitness.  My instructors Praveen and Monika were fun and encouraging.  When I joined the Learn to Run clinic I started to look after the way I ate a little better as I learned that the way I ate affected how I felt during a run.  
Success in Peru

Well that was seven months ago I quit smoking, completed the hike in Peru and while some thought I would ago back to my bad habits, quite the opposite,  last week I hit my goal weight having lost 76 pounds, I  increased my stamina for running, and this year when Bhavini suggested we run a 10K together in London, England I didn't hesitate..... Race day is July 9th and my flight is booked.!"





Well done Shannon,
xo
Mom

Thank you for stopping by my Turquoise Kettle Life Today.

May you have an inspired day,

Sandra











No comments:

Post a Comment