Wednesday 28 August 2013

Nesting

Before I begin this post let me confess that I am not a very well balanced woman.  I don't mean that I am in any way a risk to myself or others; however my tendency is to become completely consumed with an idea or project and to immerse myself in it often at the peril of other interests and even responsibilities.

Over the past couple of months our home has been my obsession.  In July I took a critical look at our home, it was a moment of truth.  (Not unlike the day when a woman stands naked in front of the mirror that she has been ignoring for months or years, and takes an honest inventory and decides that the time has finally come for action). I think of our home as a patient and loving protector, strong, sturdy, humble and unassuming.  For twenty years she has provided our family with a safe environment in which to raise children, deepen our marriage, welcome and love friends, family and neighbours.  She has never demanded expensive repairs or shocked us with sudden "conditions".  She's had a few aches and pains which we have tended to and in return she has continued to embrace us.


Living Room during "facelift"
What I felt was a deep desire to create a beautiful environment that expresses where I am and who I am at this point.  I created a long list, mentally walking through each room. I allowed my imagintion to run from the obscure to the practical making a dream list for each room.  I sketched little diagrams in the margins and visited Pinterest for ideas.  I visited shops and second-hand shops looking for bargains and inspiration.

And of course I got down to work.  The kitchen you already know about.  I painted the living room, hallways and entranceway of our home.  Moved furniture, sewed pillows, changed drapery rods, found vintage linens, quilts at yard sales, bought candles and changed light fixtures.  I garbage picked (a coat rack and a gorgeous pine armoire!!) and I did a little decluttering too.  I took out the china and mixed it in with the everyday dishes and use both together.  I learned how to build a floating deck (thanks to my husband, my dad, You Tube, and a library book) and built it by myself and yes, I used the "big saw" and still have all my fingers!

Living Room - still in progress but with new paint and accessories
Pulling together "forgotten" items from other rooms to create a new grouping


I haven't finished everything yet but I am taking a little break to come up for air and to catch up on some of those other chores that I have conveniently ignored for weeks.  With the cold months approaching and the need to spend more time indoors it seems like the perfect time to create an environment that we can snuggle into in the months ahead, while at the same time nurturing our humble home as a way of saying "You are beautiful and we appreciate you."

Thank you for taking the time to visit My Turquoise Kettle Life today.

Wishing you a day full of comfort,

Sandra





No comments:

Post a Comment