Friday 19 July 2013

Falling in love with a Fabric


A fabric store is really a visual and tactile feast; when I need to "fill the well", as author Julia Cameron of The Artist's Way explains it, I trot myself over to the fabric store and soak it all up. That's exactly where I was a couple of days ago. I didn't have any intention of buying fabric but they were having a "buy one meter and get two more free" promotion. Well doesn't that make the visit more interesting?

I always begin at the back of the store at the discount wall and work my way to the front. When something catches my eye I begin to visualize what it might become. It is like a huge buffet for the imagination. About half way through the store I found "it", a fabric so beautiful and so perfect that the ideas of where and how I could use it began to gush to the surface of my imagination like a geyser. Within minutes my mind had my entire home upholstered in this beautiful floral Waverly fabric.

Waverly floral fabric
 
I bought my one meter and got two free. I cycled home with the fabric in the basket of my bike so that I could admire it on the way. At home I discovered that I had a half meter of plaid fabric that coordinated quite nicely. Yesterday I recovered the cushions of my wicker furniture.

Here are the before and after photos:

Before:

Before reupholstery


Before: Faded and tired looking.

After:

Newly upholstered in blue Waverly fabric
 
A fresh and summery spot for relaxing
 

I still have one meter left and I've spent the morning draping it over tables, furniture, pillows and windows. Some people have theme music; I think this may become my theme fabric, the fabric of my life. In that case, perhaps I should get a few more meters.....

Thank you for stopping by My Turquoise Kettle Life today.

Wishing you a day brimming with ideas,

Sandra

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment