Sunday 8 May 2016

Good Morning to You!

It's the first week of May, the temperature is warming and on this overcast Sunday morning there is a fine drizzle of rain.  I woke in early morning semi-darkness and with eyes still closed began to focus on the birds that chirped and sang outside my open window.


I could imagine that I was away at my favourite forest cottage, the sounds were the same and outside the trees were dark silhouettes on a grey sky. "How would I feel, what would my mood and mind-set be if this was a vacation and not a day that I was going to work at the boutique?"  I let that vision sink in and noticed that, yes, I could feel an inner shift. I felt inspired, enthused to embrace these few hours of tranquility and to pretend that I was at the cottage.

I rose and lit a candle, unfurled my yoga mat and let my body warm to the movements. A leisurely but abbreviated dog walk (Jessy hates the rain) was lovely and damp with all the scents of humid soil and  rain itself.  I had to keep reminding myself this was the cottage, it is so easy to get drawn into mindless routines.
I steeped a cup of tea in a pretty mug and wrapped myself in the beautiful prayer shawl that my  mother knit for me several years ago.  Outside on my covered balcony I settled into some comfy pillows on a big wooden Adirondack chair and sipped my steaming tea.  I was instantly rewarded when a bright red-orange cardinal stopped at the bird feeder, a moment later a big blue jay bullied him out of his spot .  The jay was  just a little too big to comfortably perch and soon gave up.  Within seconds the cardinal returned and enjoyed the rest of his breakfast.
The perfect corner for a cup of tea


I allowed my mind to wander aimlessly; such an escape is pure luxury and a beautiful way to begin the day. And while eventually I had to get down to the business of business I felt as though I benefited all day from my morning "escape".  How could you subtly shift your morning routine to indulge yourself?  Would an extra 20 minutes afford you the luxury of savouring  your morning?  A short walk?  A cycle around the neighbourhood? A more leisurely shower?  A hand written note tucked into all the lunch boxes?  What would feel special?  See if you can treat yourself to something special one morning this week, you deserve it.

Thank you for stopping at My Turquoise Kettle Life today.

Have a beautiful  morning,
Sandra





No comments:

Post a Comment