Thursday 1 November 2012

Painting a Series - Challenges & Victories

"A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament."
Oscar Wilde

A couple of months ago my painting seemed to veer off in a new direction. I found myself painting with a new softer edge and a gentler palette of colours. Quite unexpectedly circles or spheres began to emerge, crying out, as it were, to be included. This work seemed to emanate from my core and often times I found that I felt emotionally overwhelmed during the creative process.


Acrylic & Mixed-Media Painting 30" x 30"
Sandra King-Allikas 


Paintings began to accumulate. I thought that this would make an interesting series of work. Pressing on I wanted to understand and explore this new direction. Trying not to over-think the process so as to keep the ideas fresh, I determined to allow the work to evolve without placing limitations on the outcome.

However, having already formed the thought of creating a particular series of work that would have a certain cohesive quality, I had in fact already placed a boundary or requirement on the painting process.

This week my strong-willed inner artist rebelled and out poured two rather more intense paintings, as if to challenge me, "Who do you think you are dealing with here? I won't be limited by your desire to create a series or anything else."
Acrylic & Mixed-Media Painting 28"x22"
Sandra King-Allikas


Acrylic & Mixed-Media Painting 20"x20"
Sandra King-Allikas
 
Well, there you go; artists do have a reputation for being unconventional, independent and sometimes ornery. I guess my inner artist is no different.

While the challenge to create a series or unified thematic body of work may be thwarted, the good news is that my inner creativity is alive and kicking.

Thanks for visiting My Turquoise Kettle Life today.

Wishing each of you an amazing day,

Sandra






No comments:

Post a Comment